Egg Tapping :- Egg tapping, or also known as egg fight, egg knocking, egg pacqueing, egg boxing, egg picking, or egg jarping is a traditional Easter game. In English folk traditions, the game has variously been known as “shackling”, “jarping” or “dumping”.
The rule of the game is simple. One holds a hard-boiled egg and taps the egg of another participant with one’s own egg intending to break the other’s, without breaking one’s own. As with any other game, it has been a subject of cheating; eggs with cement, alabaster, and even marble cores have been reported.
History of Egg Tapping
The egg was a symbol of rebirth adopted by early Christians as a symbol of the resurrection of Jesus at Easter.
During medieval times, egg tapping was practiced in Europe. For instance, the practice was mentioned to have played an important part in the 14th century in Zagreb in relation to the Easter festival. A study of folklore quotes an early 15th-century reference Poland.
In North America, egg picking was observed by a British prisoner of war, Thomas Anbury, in Frederick Town in Maryland in 1781 during the American Revolutionary War. The local custom at that time was to dye the eggs with Logwood or Bloodwood to give them a crimson color which as Anbury observed gave them “great strength”. By the mid-20th century, a Baltimore Maryland newspaper, the Evening Sun would devote an editorial column to discussing street cries, ritual, techniques for the game. For days before Easter, boys would call “Hold up!” which was the call to “pick” eggs, crying:
Who got a egg?
Who got a egg?
Who gotter Guineakee?
Who wanter pickawee?
Who gotter egg?
Competition of Egg Tapping
In England, the game is played between pairs of competitors who repeatedly knock the pointed ends of their eggs together until one of the eggs cracks; the overall winner is the one whose egg succeeds in breaking the greatest number of other eggs. The world egg-jarping championships have been held each Easter Sunday at Peterlee Cricket And Social Club County Durham, England, since 1983. Proceeds from the event are donated to the Macmillan Cancer Support charity.
In many places in Louisiana, egg-tapping is a serious competition event. Marksville claims to be the first to make it into an official event in 1956. In the past some cheaters used guinea hen eggs, which are smaller and have harder shells. Nowadays guinea egg knocking is a separate contest category. Preparation for this contest has turned into a serious science. People now know which breeds of chicken lay harder eggs and at what time. The chickens must be fed with calcium-rich food and have plenty of exercise. Proper boiling of the contest eggs is also a serious issue. Some rules are well known, such as eggs must be boiled tip down, so that the air pocket is on the butt end. There is also the rule that the champion must break and eat their eggs to prove they are not a fake.
Easter Greetings Wishes:
Easter greetings are the most beautiful thing which is done on easter sunday morning. All the who celebrated easter will greet the other peoples on that day. There are some easter greetings for you:
- Joining you in gratitude for Christ’s sacrifice and the joyful renewal it brings to all God’s children this Easter season.
- An Easter Poem For You: Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, I wish I were in the chocolate biz! Happy Easter.
- If it weren’t for the beautiful Spring weather, I’d be really upset with that damn bunny for eating all my flower bulbs. Happy Easter anyway.
- Happy Easter to you and your family as we celebrate our Father’s greatest sacrifice through his Son, Jesus Christ. Have a blessed Easter.
- I love Easter. It’s a time for eating all the chocolate you can find with complete impunity! Have a delicious Easter.
- Lavender plaid, pinks and pastels everywhere, sun shining and blue skies… It’s almost like being on a golf course in South Florida! Happy Easter.
- We tolerate a little Spring rain in order to enjoy the sunshine that follows. It’s just like we tolerate a little heartburn in order to enjoy copious amounts of Easter candy! Enjoy!
- All we got to do is follow Christ, for in Christ will all our queries be solved. Have a Blessed and Meaningful Easter.
Easter Wallpapers 2017:
This special day is celebrated because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. There are many ways to celebrate Easter around the world. Early celebrations for Easter usually include painting eggs and having Easter egg hunts.
Best Happy Easter Images And Wishes For Facebook And Whatsapp:
Make your loved ones happy on this special day using these impressive Easter Greeting Images. And here you will also find cool and elegant Happy Easter Pictures for Facebook to update your Facebook timeline and cover photos with Easter Religious Images 2017 on the joyous eve of Easter and spread the happiness of this fiesta everywhere!!
Hope you like our article on Easter Wishes. Stay tuned with us for more updates on Happy Easter 2017.