Easter Monday is the day after Easter Sunday. It is not a federal holiday in the United States of America (USA). Some Easter traditions continue on the Easter Monday, such as the egg rolling race at the White House. Egg rolling is a popular activity on Easter Monday. In the Eastern Orthodox Church and Byzantine Rite Catholic Churches, this day is called “Bright Monday” or “Renewal Monday”. The services, as in the rest of Bright Week, are quite different from during the rest of the year and are similar to the services on Pascha (Easter Sunday) and include an outdoor procession after the Divine Liturgy; while this is prescribed for all days of that week, often they are only celebrated on Monday and maybe a couple of other days in parish churches, especially in non-Orthodox countries. Also, when the calendar date of the feast day of a major saint, e.g., St. George or the patron saint of a church or one’s name day, falls during Holy Week or on Easter Sunday, the saint’s day is celebrated on Easter Monday.
Chris Tomlin – Jesus (Lyrics And Chords)
Though not largely observed in the United States, the day remains informally observed in some areas such as the state of North Dakota, and some cities in New York, Michigan, and Indiana. Easter Monday was a public holiday in North Carolina from 1935 to 1987. Texas and Maryland schools often have two holidays on Good Friday and Easter Monday. In some states and districts, public schools and universities are closed on Easter Monday, often part of spring break.
Easter Monday In USA:
Easter Monday is the day after Easter Sunday. It is not a federal holiday in the United States of America (USA). Some Easter traditions continue on the Easter Monday, such as the egg rolling race at the White House.
What Do People Do?
Egg rolling races are held in the United States. There is a big race held on the lawn of the White House in Washington DC on Easter Monday. Sometimes even the President takes part in the “White House Easter Egg Roll”, which was hosted by the First Lady in 2007. Eggs are rolled down a hill or slope and there is a variety of activities, as well as food and entertainment, for families.
The White House Easter egg collection involves a tradition that began in 1994 where each state sends a decorated egg to the White House for display. Artists from across the United States created decorated eggs that represent each state and the District of Columbia. Each year the artists vote amongst themselves to select the artist to create the following year’s commemorative egg which is presented to the President and First Lady. The collection is coordinated by the American Egg Board.
Easter Day In Italy:
Easter Monday, also known as La Pasquetta in Italian, is part of the Easter holiday celebrations that are celebrated across Italy. It is a popular time to take short breaks to the countryside with friends and/or family. Easter games include egg races. Many people also go on picnics at this time of the year.
Easter Monday is a public holiday in Italy. Organizations and businesses that are closed include:
- Government offices.
- Post offices.
- Schools and other educational institutions.
Transport options, such as taxis, rail services between major cities and major long-route bus lines, are available but travelers are advised to check first with local transport authorities.
Easter Words In Italian:
||How it’s pronounced
|Happy Easter!||Buona Pasqua!||Boo-ona Pas-kwa|
||Domenica delle palme||Dom-en-eeca deh-lay pal-may
|Easter||La Pasqua||La Pas-kwa
(literally : Holy Friday)
(literally : Holy Saturday)
||La domenica di Pasqua
||La Doe-men-ee-ka dee Pa-skwa
(literally : Little Easter or
Loon-ay-dee dell anyellow
|Lent||La Quaresima||La Kwar-ay-see-ma
|Easter egg||Uovo di cioccolatta
Uovo di Pasqua
|Oo-oh-vo dee choco-latt-a or
Oo-oh-voe dee pas-kwa
|Easter cake||La Colomba||La Col-om-ba|
|Easter bunny||Il coniglietto pasquale||Eel coneel-yeto pas-kwal-ay|
||La candela pasquale
||La can-day-la pas-kwal-ay
|An Easter blessing||Una bendizione di Pasqua||Oona ben-dee-tsee-ownay dee Pas-kwa|
|The Pope||Il Papa||Eel Papa|
|I’d like to wish you Happy Easter (informal / to a friend)||Vorrei augurarti Buona Pasqua||Vorray aw-goo-rartee boo-ona pas-kwa|
|Best wishes for Easter||Auguri di Buona Pasqua||Ow-goo-ree dee boo-ona Pas-kwa|
|I wish you and your family a very happy time at Easter (informal)||Mi auguro che tu e la tua famiglia abbiate trascorso una Buona Pasqua||Mee ow-goo-row kay too ay la too-a fam-ee-lya ab-ee-atay tras-cor-sow oona boo-ona Pas-kwa|
|Christmas with family, Easter with friends
|Natale con i tuoi, Pasqua con chi vuoi.
||Nata-lay con ee tw-oee, pas-kwa con key vw-oy-ee|
Italian Easter Greetings:
- During Lent the Festa di San Giuseppe takes place in Sicily in mark respect to St. Joseph.
- One of the popular Easter customs in Italy is that Easter eggs are brought when the church bells ring. In parts of Italy, church bells do not ring from Good Friday until Easter Sunday.
- Once the Lenten season is over every family would celebrate the event by making frittata which is like an omelet.
- In the city of Florence, enactment of the ‘scoppio del carro’ known as ‘explosion of the cart’ occurs where a fanciful cart is led by a white oxen to Easter Mass and firecrackers in shape of dove-shaped rocket is set off to commemorate the event.
- However the major Easter attraction y is that in the capital city of Rome, the Pope leads a procession to portray the “Passion of Christ” on the day of Good Friday that starts from il colosseo.
- This event is broadcast all over Italy and tourists and devout Christians from different parts of the world come to this city to witness this holy ritual.
- An Italian Easter remains incomplete without its mouthwatering traditional delicacies as ‘antipasto’,’minestra di pasqua’, ‘pizza ricresciuta’, ‘pupa cu l’ova’, ‘torta di ricotta’ and ‘uovo di pasqua’ a kind of decorative chocolate egg especially for children.
- If you’re in Italy during this time, how could you miss out the popular Easter destinations of the country like the great Vatican Museum of Rome, the romantic city of Venice and not to forget the magnificent Leaning Tower of Pisa.
- Other traditions that continue to dominate Easter festivals in Italy are tredozio done on Easter Monday, merano where fascinating horse races are conducted and the customary dance of Barano d’Ischia.
Hope you like our article on Easter Monday. Stay tuned with us for more updates on Happy Easter 2017.